Avoid Last Minute Closing Problems
Closing on the house of your dreams should be an exciting milestone for you and your family. Overlooking certain steps could delay or derail the entire process. Don’t let this happen to you. The Cowan Connection Team of Keller Williams Realty your Cobb County and Metro Atlanta Real Estate Specialists would like to prepare you for success so please check out the tips below for a smooth closing.
- Wired Funds – Georgia law requires most funds from all sources be wired. Make certain your Purchaser is aware of this requirement. Checks from other lawyer’s escrow accounts will not be accepted. Wires will.
- Power of Attorney – The form must meet certain requirements and often must be drafted or approved by the lender, even if it is a Seller Power of Attorney.
- Contract Amendments – Any change to the purchase price or Seller paid closing cost must be given to the lender and attorney well in advance of closing.
- Insurance – The Purchaser must procure hazard insurance in the amount not less than the loan amount. The lender and the closing attorney will need the premium amount to calculate escrows. The policy must be provided to the lender prior to closing.
- Earnest Money – In those instances where the earnest money held is greater than the holder’s share of commission, the broker holding the earnest money will have to bring the balance to closing.
- Closing Conditions – Check with the lender prior to closing to make certain there are no last minute conditions that must be brought to closing.
- Surveys – Most lenders no longer require a survey. If your Purchaser wants a survey, make certain that you let the closing attorney know well in advance of the closing date. Prepare your buyer that they will have to give credit card information up front to the survey company. Most survey’s take 5 – 7 days to get back.
The tips were provided to us by our preferred closing attorney Neel, Robinson & Stafford.
Give us a call so we can help you get into your new home without the headaches – (678) 631-1758
The Cowan Connection Team’s Contract to Closing Video